President Trump is taking his war on the press to a new level.
Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale announced Monday that Bloomberg News will be banned from covering the president’s 2020 rallies and events, citing the outlet’s “openly” declared Democratic bias.
In a tersely-worded statement, Parscale said the campaign decided to blacklist the news organization in light of its recent announcement that it won’t investigate its billionaire owner, Michael Bloomberg, or any other Democratic 2020 candidates, though it will keep pursuing hard-hitting journalism about Trump.
“We are accustomed to unfair reporting practices, but most news organizations don’t announce their biases so publicly,” Parscale said. “Since they have declared their bias openly, the Trump campaign will no longer credential representatives of Bloomberg News for rallies or other campaign events.”
Parscale said the campaign will assess individual requests for comment from Bloomberg News reporters “on a case-by-case basis.”
“This will remain the policy of the Trump campaign until Bloomberg News publicly rescinds its decision,” Parscale added.
Bloomberg News editor-in-chief John Micklethwait blasted Parscale’s accusations as baseless.
“The accusation of bias couldn’t be further from the truth,” Micklethwait said in a statement. “We have covered Donald Trump fairly and in an unbiased way since he became a candidate in 2015 and will continue to do so despite the restrictions imposed by the Trump campaign.”
Howard Wolfson, a longtime Bloomberg adviser and campaign aide, took the Trump campaign announcement in stride.
“One week in and Mike is already under Trump’s skin,” Wolfson tweeted.
The former New York City mayor’s entry into the 2020 race last month put him in an awkward and likely unprecedented situation as a presidential candidate owning a major national news outlet.
Bloomberg News’ announcement last week that it would not aggressively cover its boss or any other 2020 Democrats drew criticism — including from former employees.
“It’s not unprecedented for a rich person to own a news organization and to be covered by that news organization,” ex-Bloomberg News Washington news director Kathy Kiely told CNN over the weekend. “I just don’t understand why they’re making this decision. It really undermines the credibility of the organization that Mike Bloomberg has invested so much money in.”