Romanian cancer patient dies after being set on fire during surgery

by Editorial Team

A Romanian cancer patient died Sunday, one week after she was accidentally set on fire during surgery at a hospital in Bucharest.

Surgeons at Floreasca Hospital used an alcohol-based disinfectant on an unidentified 66-year-old woman before beginning her pancreatic cancer operation on Dec. 22, according to the BBC.

When the electric scalpel the surgeons were using came into contact with the alcohol, the disinfectant combusted, setting the woman on fire. She suffered burns on 40% of her body before dying a week later.

Police have opened an investigation while the victim’s family says the hospital only told them that it was an accident.

“We found out some details from the press, when they were broadcast on TV stations,” they said. “We aren’t making accusations, we just want to understand what happened.”

Health minister Victor Costache promised a thorough investigation.

“The surgeons should have been aware that it is prohibited to use an alcohol-based disinfectant during surgical procedures performed with an electric scalpel,” deputy minister Horatiu Moldovan added.

Despite a recent increase in funding, Romania spends the least of any European Union country on health care and faces numerous obstacles including poor infrastructure, dilapidated facilities, outdated equipment and staff shortages.

READ FROM SOURCE: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ny-cancer-patient-dies-set-on-fire-during-surgery-20191231-xpbepdjlabdihhpbdox57r2z4i-story.html

Related Posts

Leave a Comment