One Texas shooting victim IDed as deacon, lifelong church member by family

by Editorial Team

A 64-year-old deacon and lifelong church member has been identified as one of the people killed Sunday when a shooter opened fire during a live-streamed worship service near Fort Worth, Texas.

Family members said Anton “Tony” Wallace — a husband, grandfather and registered nurse — had just given out communion that morning when the gunman approached him near the back of the church and shot him.

“Today our family lost one of our leaders to a senseless and horrifying act of violence!” one of his nieces, Lindsey Wallace, wrote on Facebook. “My uncle Tony was an Amazing Man and child of God. He was an amazing husband, father, papa, brother and uncle.”

The shooter, whose motive remains a mystery, was sitting alone at West Freeway Church of Christ in the city of White Settlement when he got up and fatally shot two men before turning his weapon toward the crowd. Two armed security guards quickly rushed to stop him, firing at least one shot — enough to kill him and prevent an even worse tragedy.

Authorities have not released any names and few details were available Monday morning, nearly 24 hours after the shooting. But the terrifying attack was caught on camera as the church live-streams its services on YouTube.

“It just happened so fast,” Tony Wallace’s daughter, Tiffany, told NBC affiliate KXAS-TV.

The woman was standing feet away from her father when the first shot rang out.

“I ran toward my dad and the last thing I remember is him asking for oxygen and I was just holding him, telling him I loved him and that he was going to make it,” she told the station.

He was pronounced dead at a Fort Worth hospital a short time later.

“You just wonder why?” his daughter said. “How can someone so evil, the devil, step into the church and do this?”

Authorities said the gunman was killed within six seconds of opening fire.

The other victim has been described as a security guard, but his name could not immediately be confirmed. An elder at the church, Mike Tinius, told The Associated Press the guard “was trying to do what he needed to do to protect the rest of us.”


Related Posts

Leave a Comment