Double-decker bus driver arrested after brutal crash in Hong Kong that killed six, injured at least 30

by Editorial Team

A brutal double-decker bus crash in Hong Kong on Wednesday left six people dead and at least 30 others injured.

The-56-year-old driver, who has been with the the KMB bus company for 18 years, has been working the same route from Fanling for the last two years, safety director Andrew Kwan Chi-wai said. He was arrested for dangerous driving and causing death in wake of the brutal crash, according to the English-language newspaper, South China Morning Post.

Police said that three men and three women died in the vehicular incident, which unfolded in the New Territories of Hong Kong — bordering on mainland China — around 4:15 p.m. local time.

The KMB bus was left with a jagged hole in its roof, though most of the damage was on the left side of the vehicle, which was reportedly traveling at normal speeds when it collided with some roadside trees.

Five of the victims were pronounced dead on the scene while the sixth, a female, later succumbed to her injuries in North District Hospital in Sheung Shui, according to the Morning Post.

Hong Kong’s leader, Chief Executive Carrie Lam, said she was shocked and saddened by the events and offered her condolences to the victims and their families.

Those injured were also transported to North District Hospital, Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersolde Hospital in Tai Po, Tuen Mun Hospital and Pok Oi Hospital in Yuen Long.

A male passenger, who was not identified, recalled the horrific scene and his escape from the double-decker bus — which had just passed a safety inspection earlier in the day.

“There were broken limbs and someone had head injuries,” he told the newspaper.

“The staircase was smashed, and we had to come down the rear with the help of firefighters. Some people were frightened.”

At least three passengers were reportedly thrown from the bus following the crash, though their conditions are currently unclear.

Police in a statement released just before 5:30 p.m. said that some of the Shueng Shui-bound lanes of Fanling Highway near Tsung Pak Long remained closed to traffic.

Wednesday’s crash comes just less than a year after a KMB double-decker bus flipped onto its side in Tai Po. Nineteen people were killed and another 60 were injured in the incident, which occurred in February 2018.

READ FROM SOURCE: https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ny-deadly-double-decker-bus-crash-hong-kong-20191218-pwxz2ethhvfxdlv6iaxxlb2q5e-story.html

Related Posts

Leave a Comment